How to enjoy Easter on a PKU diet



Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash


As Easter time approaches, I realise that I have quite a few readers of my blog who are new parents to a child with PKU and so they will be experiencing this holiday in a different way perhaps for the very first time. Easter, particularly for young children, is a time mostly associated with indulging in chocolate eggs and other sweet treats. No doubt you will be wondering (and worrying) whether your child will ever be able to experience this holiday in the most ‘normal’ sense possible. I would like to reassure you that they absolutely can. (This, of course, goes for adults too!)

When I was younger I often had Vitaflo’s chocolate 'Duobar'and at Easter my Dad would use this to make me my very own low- protein Easter eggs. At this time we weren’t aware of any other low- protein chocolate eggs that were available. (There are definitely now many low- protein products available that offer alternative choices). He used the plastic casing of a regular Easter egg as a mould to melt my chocolate into. Once he had made the two shells he simply stuck them together. My parents reminded me of a rather amusing story from one Easter time when I was very little involving these Easter eggs, which I think is worth sharing here. Apparently I seemed to be enjoying my low- protein chocolate a little too much – in fact my Dad warned me against eating the entire Easter egg. My Mum and Nanna however, allowed me to continue to indulge, probably just happy at the fact that for once I could enjoy myself without the worry of exchanges. You have probably already guessed how this ended, but let me clarify anyway, that it didn’t end well. Although I can’t remember as I was so young, I no doubt immediately regretted my decision to eat that much chocolate when I brought it back up soon afterwards. We all laugh at this memory now and my Dad always relishes at being reminded of a time when he was once again right. But this memory also makes me happy because it shows that I did experience Easter in a ‘normal’ sense – what child hasn’t thrown up from eating too much chocolate? I’m not encouraging you to follow in my footsteps, but my point here is that, your child can still experience Easter even on a PKU diet.

When I got a little older and my protein allowance increased to around 8/10 grams per day, I began to have ‘real’ chocolate Easter eggs which I remember as being an exciting time. Although I couldn’t indulge as freely as I could with the low- protein alternative, I had to save up my exchanges in order to have a satisfying amount of chocolate. I probably didn’t eat too well on Easter Sunday because of this, but it was always worth it.

Below is a link from NSPKU, which lists some great alternative Easter ideas, so do have a look! (Please note though this is from last year)

Comments

Popular Posts

Contact Me - ask me anything!

Name

Email *

Message *