High protein food/drinks to use up your exchanges

It was great for me when the circumstances of my diet changed and my protein allowance gradually increased because it meant I had more freedom in what I could eat. However, one thing I did struggle with was finding ways to use up my entire allowance by the end of the day, without pigging out on food! I would often find myself in the situation where it was late in the evening, I had finished my dinner, but I still had about 10 grams of protein left to eat up (sometimes more!). This is not ideal, especially when you are not feeling particularly hungry.

So with this struggle in mind, I have come up with a combination of high protein foods and drinks that can be consumed throughout the day or on an evening, to help those of you who I’m sure can relate to my issue, to spread your protein allowance more effectively throughout the day…

Omelette
A great meal idea which I discovered not too long ago and is very quick and easy to make! An omelette is an ideal way to use up your exchanges because 1 egg contains around 6 grams of protein, and you also have the option to add in whatever you like. When I make an omelette, I like to add in a little bit of cheese (depending on exchanges) and some sliced tomatoes. But if you prefer, you can just eat it on its own.

                                         Cheese on toast
This is a good option to have as a snack for lunch. Cheese is very high in protein (I think about 4 grams is equivalent to 1 exchange – but best to double check with your dietitian) and so it’s a great way to use up your exchanges in one chunk. You can also choose to have ‘normal’ bread (1 slice has about 3.5-4 grams of protein in) or low- protein bread, which can taste just as nice!

Quorn slices
Although most Quorn products are high in protein (perhaps a bit too high for the classic PKU patient to eat), the Quorn ‘meat’ slices are only about 2 exchanges each and are ideal for putting on sandwiches or into a pasta dish. There are a variety of slices to choose from – ham, turkey, chicken and beef are just a few! I am a big fan of Quorn, especially these ‘meat’ slices, because compared to eating real meat it’s the next best thing and they don’t taste that bad either.

Yoghurt and fruit
This is more of a snack idea than a meal and is a good, solid healthy option. I have found that protein amounts can vary depending on the yoghurt – small fromage frais have 4 grams per yoghurt where as other yoghurts can have up to 6 grams in – so make sure you check the packet. The yoghurt in the picture below only had 3.5 grams in! Adding a bit of fruit just makes it into a more substantial snack and a little more interesting, and the best part about it is that it’s completely protein- free.

Glass of milk
Just something simple to end on, milk is another great source of protein and having a small glass is a perfect way to use up your protein allowance easily. This isn’t something I used to do that often because, honestly, I’m still trying to get used to the taste (I much prefer low- protein milk), but it’s still another option for those of you who don’t mind the taste.

I hope this post has been somewhat helpful and if you have any ideas that I haven’t mentioned here, feel free to comment down below! If you’re thinking of trying any of these foods that I’ve listed here for the first time, then don’t forget to speak to your dietitian first!

Comments

Popular Posts

Contact Me - ask me anything!

Name

Email *

Message *