A little update: where I've been, iron deficiency & PKU clinic


Photo by Jamie Street on Unsplash

Let me start off by wishing you all a (very) belated Happy new year! I realise I've been absent from here for quite a while now, I won't try and make excuses - in all honesty I had a bit of loss in motivation! However, it's a brand new year and I'm hoping to get back on the blogging bandwagon again.

Last week I attended my annual hospital check- up and PKU clinic at Northern General Hospital in Sheffield. It was great to to have a catch up with my dietitian and doctor, as it seemed it was long overdue. (Side note: If you follow me on Twitter, you may have seen me post back in November something about discovering my iron levels being extremely low - I was very low in energy, always had headaches and easily became dizzy and short of breath. I've been on medication since then, but it was good to have a chat with my dietitian to see how I could boost my iron through my diet). We also discussed the possibility of increasing my supplement amount from two to three a day, as this will give me the extra iron that I need. 

(I am curious to know whether anyone else with PKU has ever experienced low iron levels? If so, please let me know in the comments/ through a private message!)

I also got the chance to speak with some of the low- protein brand reps, from Mevalia, Nutricia and Cambrooke etc and to sample some of their new products. I asked for some more samples to be sent to me at home, so keep an eye out for reviews of those which will hopefully be coming soon!

Comments

Popular Posts

Contact Me - ask me anything!

Name

Email *

Message *